Thursday, June 5, 2014

How Sweet it is...

I love music.  And I really love live music.  But there are precious few artists that I will pay big bucks to see these days.  My hard-rocking, concert-groupie days are long past and now I mostly look forward to lesser-known artists (or ones that are no longer packing huge stadiums for their concerts) performing at our small, local theater. 

Every once in a while an artist will go on tour that sparks my interest.  I forget how painful it is to shell out over $100 for 2 hours of entertainment.  I forget the hassle of fighting traffic to the concert and sitting in the parking lot for an hour after the show waiting to escape.  I forget about the drunkards that sing too loudly and the fact that I just don't "do" midnight anymore.  I loose sight of all of that and purchase an obscenely overpriced ticket anyway.  Because it's fun.  And I do love live music. 

This week our music adventure was James Taylor.  He was playing at the Concord Pavillion which is a good three-hour drive from our house.  So it wasn't just an evening at the concert.  It was a mini-adventure with all the logistical maneuvering typical of a 24-hour reprieve from work and parenthood.  There was vacation time to arrange, school pick-ups to coordinate, overnight accommodations for kids to plan, suitcases to pack, and dog detail to figure out. 

You might be amused that James Taylor was our big-name concert adventure.  Admittedly, we probably aren't his typical fans.  We weren't even alive in the late 1960's when he was getting his start.  But hubby and I both love him and were super excited to see this show....particularly because my brother hooked us up with prime, 6th row center seats. Sixth row is cool for just about any show, but in a venue that seats 12,000....row six is pretty freaking awesome. 

James put on a great show.  Even though he's been singing and touring for 40+ years, he still sounds great and seems to genuinely enjoy performing.  During the intermission, he didn't hide backstage drinking a beer.  He was sitting on the front of the stage signing autographs, shaking hands and taking pictures with the fans.  The crowd was definitely grey-hair-heavy, but they still rocked, danced, screamed and rushed the stage toward the end of the show with their cell phones in hand to capture a quick close-up photo.

The show was awesome and the company (my hubby, sister-in-law and 20-year old niece) was pretty great too.  We joked a lot about the average age of the group and made bets on how many people (if any) we would find that would be younger than us (turns out...very, very few).  Our niece was a good sport and only made one snide comment about 40-year old people being "old".  And we bought that sassy young whipper-snapper a vegetarian, gluten-free breakfast the next morning anyway. 

Just trying to shower our people with love, as James would say. 



No comments:

Post a Comment