Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Unplug to Charge Up

When I think about my favorite places to be, unplugged really tops the list. In our tech-heavy, over-connected world, setting my phone aside and being still feels like a unique luxury. 

I begin each morning by unplugging and hanging out on my back patio with no agenda but to finish my cup of coffee. I listen to the birds, watch the sprinklers, notice the sky and the temperature. Sometimes I think about what I have to get done that day. Sometimes I think about nothing. Mostly I just sink into this little slice of stillness and soak it all in. 

During the workday, I'm mostly tethered to a phone and/or a computer. This constant presence of technology allows me the convenience of working from home, or really any place with a good wifi connection. While I appreciate this flexibility and the miracle that is remote work, at the end of the day I find myself craving something (anything) that doesn't involve a screen. Sometimes I scratch this itch by taking a walk, or working on my crocheted blanket that has been in progress since March, or getting lost in the kitchen throwing something together for dinner. I read a book. I work on puzzles. 

The irony of typing these words on a computer is not lost on me. 😀

But when I think back on the most meaningful connections and moments of 2020, during the height of COVID quarantine, I'm surprised at the connection that technology facilitated. While we all huddled alone in our houses, our only method to connect was over the computer. These screens that were tools of disconnection suddenly became our lifelines to anyone outside our family or quarantine bubble. 

My book club continued to meet online, providing inspiration to keep up with my reading habit and the opportunity to keep connecting with this group of women that has buoyed me for the past 15 years. 

My gaggle of high school girlfriends that usually gather only once a year, suddenly found ourselves with time to connect more often. Cancelled soccer games and working from home meant more time in the evenings for biweekly zoom calls to catch up, laugh and share stories. 

When a mom friend passed away suddenly, the other mamas didn't quite know what to do. Normally we would be gathering in someone's kitchen to cry and drown our sorrows. So we gathered on Zoom to cry and connect at some basic level. 

Though I was dubious about its effectiveness, I led two, 8-week mind-body skills groups via Zoom. The groups offered a place for people to connect, share, learn and grow in  meaningful ways that I never imagined possible on a virtual platform. 

Now as we begin to emerge from the isolation of COVID it's interesting to see how we have all weathered the storm. Suddenly an in-person meeting is a novelty. Going out for dinner seems like an exotic treat. With everything that managed just fine online during COVID, I'm suddenly re-thinking what really needs to happen in-person.

After decades of being used as a tool to zone out and disconnect from those around us, the internet has proven its ability to be the great connector. But in-person gatherings with friends and family have taken on new meaning as we realize that a life lived behind a screen is actually no life at all. The internet is an incredible tool that created moments of connection when we were most desperate for it. And its ability to be a tool of isolation, endless scrolling and mindless searching is still real. 

As I tiptoe back into the real world again, I have profound gratitude for the internet and all that it provided for us during the pandemic. And even greater appreciation for the true connections to nature, ourselves and other humans, that only come when we choose to unplug. 



Castle Crags, A spectacular place to unplug. 
During a pandemic, or any other season of life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment