Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Space Kitties Charter School Diary - Episode 3

March 23, 2020

It's Monday, the start of week 2 of our homeschooling adventure. It was a busy day.

Highlights:

  • Everyone slept in and got going on their school work without any nagging. 
  • Again, they worked independently and saved all their questions for the moment I jumped on a video conference call. 
  • Field trip #3 was another trip to pick up groceries and deliver them to my parents. 
  • A hail storm in the afternoon made me regret my decision to convert the garage into the Space Kitties Charter School room. I quickly shoved the school stuff to the side and put the car back in the garage. Thankfully the hail was small and passed quickly. 
  • We put out a homemade rain gauge in the backyard (thanks Grandma!) and will be measuring rainfall as part of our ongoing science project. 
  • Late in the afternoon when the storm clouds cleared out, we walked to the park to kick the soccer ball around. We now maintain safe a "social distance" from the playground equipment, but still appreciate the open space to run around and get our wiggles out. 
  • On the walk home, we took the long route and the kids had a great time stomping in puddles and rescuing worms on the sidewalk. Watching the kids stomp in puddles has always been one of my most favorite things to do as a mom, and today I'm thankful they haven't yet outgrown that simple pleasure. 
Clean hands. Open Hearts. Growing Minds.

Space Kitties signing off.

Home School Day: 5
Toilet paper inventory: 9 rolls
Wine on hand: 2 bottles
Crying fits: None

March 24, 2020
Hey! We made it today six before we had our first serious meltdown. I guess that's a success story? Ironically the crying fit wasn't even about school work or being bored in the house....it was when I was trying to teach the kids how to play hop-scotch. (I mean the real game with place markers and all that....not just jumping around the squares) One child (who shall remain nameless) was not quite as good at it as the other child. The frustration level kept rising as the other sibling was more and more successful....and then it all fell apart. Tears. Screaming. Lying down on the ground. Truly, it was quite a show. I'm sure the neighbors enjoyed it.

We managed to get ourselves back in the house without any major damage. Everyone is recovered, we got the laundry put away, and now the kids are parked happily in front of their electronic device for TV time.

I nearly had a crying fit of my own when I realized today is Tuesday and not Wednesday, the day I have a conference call scheduled with my high school girlfriends. So, that wine inventory is holding steady for another day.

Clean hands. Open Hearts. Growing Minds.

Space Kitties signing off.

Home School Day: 6
Toilet paper inventory: 9 rolls
Wine on hand: 2 bottles
Crying fits: 1

PS....Our reading nook game is strong in this house. Pinterest, eat your heart out.



March 25, 2020

If I had a nickel for every time someone sent me a creative idea for home schooling, I would be a millionaire by now. I get it!! There are a zillion great resources out there for homeschooling. Also....I'm working, and the school sent home a very complete collection of things to keep the kids busy. So I really haven't had the opportunity to do much of anything outside the box. But today we executed a Pinterest-worthy art project in the back yard.

Step one: Use masking tape to lay out a grid on your wood fence.

Step two: Color in the spaces with sidewalk chalk

Step three: Remove the tape and you have a stained-glass window on your fence! 



This is probably the first time an internet art project actually turned out as good as the original picture. #winning

Clean hands. Open Hearts. Growing Minds.

Space Kitties signing off.

Home School Day: 7
Toilet paper inventory: 8 rolls
Wine on hand: 1.5 bottles
Crying fits: 1

1 comment:

  1. I feel like we could handle the stained glass chalk art. I also feel like our kids would totally fight over who is better at hop scotch.
    Finally, we go through a roll of toilet paper a day around here. Consider yourself blessed.

    ReplyDelete